Tuesday, September 8

First Day Memories...

Today marked the first day of school for myself, many fellow teachers, and LOTS of students. Although there are many topics that could be discussed on this notorious day, I'm sticking with "first day memories". What do YOU remember about the first day of school? Do you remember something good? something bad? Here's my most VIVID first day memory...

It was my first day of kindergarten at Oakland Elementary in South Carolina. Since school had started a week or two before, my mom and I got a personal tour of the school with the Vice Principal as our guide. She showed us the class I'd be in, various "resource" classrooms, and the cafeteria. The tour ended here because my new class was already in the lunch line. Up to this point in my schooling career, mom had packed my lunch EVERYDAY; unfortunately, in the excitement of the day, mom forgot to pack my homemade lunch and gave me a dollar bill instead. I didn't enjoy the idea of cafeteria lunches: the lunch line was intimidating, choices had to be made quickly (apple or orange?!), and lunch ladies were mean. I hesitantly walked through the line and received my rationed grilled cheese sandwich, corn, apple sauce, and milk. I paid for my food and sat down at the cafeteria table. Upon opening my carton, a "rowdier" student jostled me causing my 2% milk to go splashing all over my tray. The milk was all over my food: the grilled cheese was now soggy, the corn now creamy, and the apple sauce now swirly. Devistated, I hesitantly raised my hand for the cafeteria monitor. She took one look at my tray and told me... "That's what you get for playing around with your food! Now go ahead and eat it!". She WATCHED ME in spiteful glee as she FORCEFULLY REQUESTED that I take a bite of each of the "tainted" items on my tray. I haven't bought school lunch since.

from jessie (cafeteria-phobic)... with love 

No comments:

Post a Comment