Tuesday, February 2

Snow Cream


I remember the miraculous winter where we got a 3 inches of snow in South Carolina and my mom rushed to put a bowl outside to catch the falling snow. She added milk, sugar, and vanilla and we ended up with this liquidy, slushy, sweet, magical mixture she called snow cream. This snow day treat (shared with her by her dad) soon marked all snow days to follow in my family.

So of COURSE when it snowed yesterday, snow cream was one of the first things that came to Scott and my minds! Thanks to my friend Bethany, I was led towards a Paula Dean recipe for snow cream (an ice-creamier version of the slushy like snow cream I was used to as a child). Her recipe calls for condensed sweetened milk... unfortunately I had none. So improvising I concocted the following which turned out yum, yum, yummy! 

SNOW CREAM



1/2 can of Evaporated Milk 
3-4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups freshly fallen snow 

If you've never experienced snow cream, you owe it to yourself. It's more nostalgic than gourmet, but it's one of those things that makes snow days special. And if you have children... you kind of owe it to them to begin this snow day tradition!


from jessie (snow chef)... with love 

1 comment:

  1. Monica and I kept talking about making this but we didn't feel like going out to the store to buy the ingredients we didn't have. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete