Wednesday, July 29

opposites attract

This is a reality that comes to my attention often in my married relationship and I thought a blog post about it was overdue. Yesterday sparked the inspiration for this post because while at the pool Scott and I unintentionally laid our identical towels in opposite ways. Picture it: our towels are light blue and white. If faced one way you get a light blue background with white waves on it. If faced the other way, white background with blue waves. THIS is how we laid our towels out at the pool; not only then, but when we laid them out on the balcony to dry, we did the same thing! 

There are many opposing characteristics that come along with our personalities and our relationship. Here is a SHORT list to give you an idea...
  • HE loves junk food :: SHE loves sweets
  • HE is a pack-rat :: SHE is a cleaner
  • HE is obsessed with music :: SHE loves dancing
  • HE dreams of the mountains :: SHE dreams of the ocean (although we both enjoy aspects of each)
  • HE listens to NPR :: SHE likes to scan the "hip" stations
  • HE gets politics :: SHE doesn't
  • HE has no problem meeting new people and making friends :: SHE likes to stick close the the ones she's already made
  • HE likes to work out his mind :: SHE likes to work with her hands
  • HE likes to wade in the pool :: SHE likes to lay in the sun
Honestly the list could go ON and ON! So it got me thinking: Why are we drawn to individuals that are our opposite? I figure the answer is pretty simple. Foundational items normally bring us together (i.e. beliefs), but the opposing characteristics are what make us vital to one another. Marriage is all about growing together, and what better way to grow then to learn something that's not naturally in your tendency to do?

Scott balances me out. He has taught me to listen, talk about my problems, and meet new people in circumstances I would have normally shied away from. Likewise,( I think) I have taught him to look for the good in situations, find joy in small things, and put items back in their place (although we are still working on this last one). I love that we balance one another out. We are constantly working on being selfless, and putting one another's needs before our own. Don't get me wrong, we no where NEAR have this down pat, but we acknowledge that it needs to be done and attempt to do so on a daily basis (successful or not).

to be continued...

from jessie (ying to his yang)... with love 

1 comment:

  1. What a great post, my husband and I are the same way... opposite in many ways but those ways just seem to fit perfectly together! thanks for reminding us why that is!!

    ReplyDelete