Friday, July 10

try, try again...

The Barta family is fortunate enough to have family members who live on a beautiful, large lake in Minnesota (hello Irene!). We are equally as fortunate to have another family member who owns a fast boat and water skis. An opportunity to attempt water skiing arose when these two family members, along with others, came together on the Forth of July up in Minnesota. Along with LOTS OF EATING (seriously, that's what we do), Brian (Boat Captain) and fellow experienced skier Mike (awesome guy), took groups of people out on their fabulous boat to brave the lake and SKI. Since this opportunity doesn't happen every day, I said, "sure, I'd love to try"(special thanks to Yes Man for this wonderful life philosophy!). 

My sister Jackie, who learned to ski years before while on vacation with her best friend, picked right back up where she started. I think she may have had one bad go before she pulled herself up on the skis and went flying across the water and wake with ease. Check her out...


After watching that all I could think was, "oooooo.... easy and fun!"(even though I knew better). Brian and Mike, along with Scott, Joe, and several children, accompanied me out on the boat for my first attempts at skiing. My instructors were great and very patient, always giving me advice. Even the kids chimed in with such insightful advice as "hold on next time", "just stand up", and my personal favorite "don't fall down so much". But over and over again, this is all I achieved...


Some would look at this and say "I accomplished nothing! I give up! Stupid water skiing!". Not I. My inability to stand up on the skis was not a failure, but a near success! Call me an optimist, I'll say the glass is half full, because I gave it my all and actually had fun doing it. I'd love to be able to look back and say I stood up my first time around, but I didn't, and life doesn't afford you success at everything you try. I think that's an okay lesson to learn! I'm proud of what I did accomplish, even if I didn't achieve my ultimate goal. When life hands you opportunities... give it a try (and have FUN with it)!

from jessie (i've fallen and i can't get up!)... with love 

1 comment:

  1. Good job for trying so hard! Those water sports can be very challenging and will wear you right out! You inspire us all! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete