Monday, June 22

what IS a hawaiian shirt anyways?

I don't know about your family, but in the Barta family (my dad's side) the phrase "family reunion" is synonymous with "group t-shirts". In years past, these t-shirts have been worn to display family namesake. 
Well yall, this year marks another family reunion for the Barta Clan, a big one in fact, thrown to bring long lost family together and to celebrate my grandfather's 80th year of life!!! Hence, shirts to mark the occasion were a must. Each section of the family (four to be exact, one for each Barta Brother) was to choose a shirt and a design to wear proudly in the big family photo and other reunion events. But our family is SO quirky that we couldn't JUST decorate a REGULAR t-shirt... our theme you ask??? Hawaiian Shirt.

All of that to tell you this... finding this hawaiian shirt has been one of the most ridiculous, frusterating, funny, unecessary events of my life. It all makes for a great, very LONGGGGGGG story (with lots of tangents), but it all came down to this... What makes a hawaiian shirt? I've found over the course of this that everyone in my immediate family has a different definition of what makes a hawaiian shirt. Here are the TOP THREE that have made the cut:

shirt no.1 :: What I think of when I hear "hawaiian shirt": collar, buttons, and tacky pattern

shirt no.2 :: a "hawaiian" tank, complete with tasteful tropical flower print (silly face not necessarily required)

shirt no.3 :: a t-shirt with hawaiian flower print

thoughts? input? opinions? unrelated ideas? all are welcomed in the comments section.

from jessie (aloha oy!)... with love

3 comments:

  1. Seriously. The best would be the purple one. It's the most fitting on you!

    My reasoning for eliminating the first is just because its generic normal blah hawaiian shirt. The second looks like an old lady's bathing suit top...

    So the third...which luckily for you that print is in style right now just makes complete and total sense. And the teal layering is cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the only true Hawaiian shirt is number one. That is what I think of when I think Hawaiian shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When imagining a Hawaiian shirt, I totally think of the first one. BUT, the other ones are way cooler on you! But if you want a TRUE Hawaiian outfit, you need the first shirt OR coconut shell bikini tops and grass skirts, hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete