Monday, March 9

A Card for MOMMY

I am my mother's daughter, and just like her, I spend WAY TOO LONG in the card section of Target/Hallmark (I spare my wonderful husband of this painful journey). I search long and hard for a design, words, and presentation that fits the recipient of the card. Normally, my efforts are rewarded; like when I find the card that suits my goofy friend, with the funny "between you and me" type joke, that has a picture of two old ladies on the front with their dresses tucked into their panty-hose. I'm just that good. But when it comes to "mom" birthday cards, and not just MY MOM birthday cards,EVERYONE'S MOM birthday cards, I have come to a horrifying realization: 98% of the cards don't focus fully on the recipient!

All through my card shopping on Saturday and today I picked up card after card in the "Mom Birthday" section and found NOTHING but... 
  • you make MY life so wonderful
  •  I am an amazing person because of you
  •  I think everyday of how much MY life is touched by you
  •  blah blah ME, blah blah blah MY LIFE, blah ME ME ME
Now, I am not a mother, and I realize that part of a mother's joy derives from seeing her children grow up healthy and happy. And I'm sure being recognized and appreciated by your children is vindicating, but ALL these cards did was focus on the child's life, the child's memories, the child's happiness! FOR GOODNESS SAKES... I want to celebrate the fact that my mom is a complete person! Not just a mother... but a wife, a friend, a woman of God! I WANT TO RECOGNIZE ALL OF WHO SHE IS ON HER BIRTHDAY! (whew!)

So... all this to say that we should really rethink Birthday cards for mom. Sure, take a second to recognize mom and the impact she has had on your life, but take a longer moment to recognize her as a person and all the things that make HER special and unique (not just motherhood).

 I LOVE YOU MOM, for ALL THE WOMAN THAT YOU ARE! 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!


from jessie (mommy's girl)... with love

No comments:

Post a Comment