Friday, March 13

lapses in judgement



I work at an elementary school where there is no lack of ridiculous stories of student escapades. I will not (because I want to be a good teacher) used any names, however, I will recount some stories of today, just so you can share in the madness that is my work life...
  •  SCENE ONE: the boys bathroom early morning- an adventurous fourth grade student decides that feces (doo-doo!) is a moldable substance. Discovering this, the young man persists to create dooky-balls which he then carefully places on top of each, of four, urinal handles. Most likely realizing that molding this substance leaves a residue on one's hands, the student then proceeds to wipe his tainted hands on the walls of the urinal. In fear of being caught, the young man vacates the restroom which now waits silently for unsuspecting prey. ( GOD BLESS OUR CUSTODIAN!)
  • SCENE TWO: my classroom; a young man sitting in a desk directly in front of my own, which I'm currently occupying grading papers- a "gifted" student is cold and proceeds to put on his hoodie. He manages to put it on correctly and teacher returns to her desk work while student proceeds to do his own. Elapse time-2 minutes. Student calls teacher's attention. As she looks up she is greeted with a worried look and an improperly placed hoodie sleeve hole, "TEACHER, I don't know how... but my head is stuck inside my hoodie sleeve. I don't know how it happened." Oh dear child... 
  • SCENE THREE: a fifth grade classroom; teacher has stepped out for a brief moment while a teacher in an adjacent classroom "watches (i.e. listens in)" on her class- a female fifth grader has brought a bottle of super glue to school with ill intent. While a fellow student briefly moves away from his seat, she moves in on the empty chair with her weapon. As the unsuspecting child returns to his seat, he is greeted with globs of super glue which, a few moments later, have secured him temporarily to his seat. Fearing the repercussions of her actions, the female student proceeds to pay the class to keep the situation hush and not tattle. A SMARTER student keeps the money and quietly makes the teacher aware upon her return. 
True tales from a teacher who's been there. Thankfully, only two of these three situations involved me (the feces situation indirectly though as my "guilty" student was proven innocent later in the afternoon when the true culprit was caught brown handed... bad joke?). So yes... Friday the thirteenth caused lapses in judgement. But to be honest, this happens every day. I'm thankful that now, as an adult, I have the awareness and willingness to stop and think about my actions before acting on impulses (the majority of the time). Sure my judgement may have lapsed when I posted a silly cat picture with yesterday's blog, but that was a mere "tasteful" fowl. Nothing compared to the events I see play themselves out on a day to day basis in my school ( and most schools for that matter). What will our future be like? Only GOD knows!!!

from jessie (I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried)... with love

3 comments:

  1. Funny stuff. My wife is a teacher and this stuff happens all the time. I love that you explained feces was doo doo. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks rob... its hard to be funny, and i did try on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i somehow get the feeling that the THEME of this week is "doo doo". Please, correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully, next week won't be full of so much crap.

    ReplyDelete