Monday, March 23

Vaguely Vegetarian Recipe Review

My wonderful husband has decided that during the week days he wants to do all in his power to eat vegetarian. I completely support this decision. However, (self admittedly from the scooter's mouth) when he makes up his mind to "try something new", I'm left doing the grunt work when it comes to finding recipes to fit said eating choice. But last week Scott complied a short list of veggie-friendly recipes for me to make. Needless to say, my job was easy: print the recipe, make, eat, review! 

SO, after last night's HOOTERS HOT WINGS DATE FEAST (I did tell you he was only being vaugley veg remember?) Scott made himself a cucumber-tomato sandwitch and it was up to me to make dinner. Tonight, that dinner just happened to be... Apple, Sauerkraut, and Cheddar Quesadillas with Rice Pilaf. It is what it sounds like.

APPLE, SAUERKRAUT, and 
CHEDDAR QUESADILLAS
  • 1 cup Sauerkraut, rinsed
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2-3 burrito sized flour tortillas
  • 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 small Granny Smith Apple, peeled and thinly sliced
RICE PILAF
  • courtesy of Rice-A-Roni 
  • (the San Francisco Treat) 
So Scott and I both sat down to eat the adventurous dinner described above. The goal of the recipe is to combine the tartness of the apples, with the sharpness of the cheese, and balance that taste with the tangy kick of the sauerkraut. Scott chose to top his quesadillas off with sour cream, which freaked me out considering the quesadillas contained SAUERKRAUT! I feel like that's equivalent to dipping a pickle in milk and eating away. Sour stomach city! Although he survived the meal, I chose to pass on that concept. The review?


Scott- Gone in 60 Seconds (YUMMY!)
Jessie- Waiting for Godot (Will eat again, but didn't thrill me)

I'm still completely up for more experimentation when it comes to vegetarian meals, but I doubt this will make its way onto MY gold star list. Despite my mediocre experience with this recipe, I'm looking forward to the Tex-Mex Wraps and an already tried and true veggie recipe from my favorite magazine (Real Simple) called Deviled Pasta. I'll check back in with you on those two when they are made. 


from jessie (cooperatively veg)... with love 


7 comments:

  1. They were really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't handle sour cream. It is gag nasty in my book. To mix that with sauerkraut makes me say, in all do respect, Scott doesn't have taste buds. You can say whatever you want to a person as long as you say with all do respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love those hot wings. my wife's fav.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS BRIAN!

    and Rob...I totally agree that sour cream with this sounds gross. but in general, i do not find it GAG NASTY (with all due respect!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. can i just say that is the most beautiful PLATTER i've ever seen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. someone FANTASTIC gave it to me as a wedding gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with Rob. Sorry. Ewwww. But I do love seeing pictures of food and reading about new recipes!

    ReplyDelete