Thursday, March 19

Unashamed


So, the past two days of my morning commute have been spent listening to Trisha on the Z-Morning Zoo talk about her trip to see the New Kids on the Block reunion tour in Richmond. She was SO excited about going and seeing Joey, her favorite, and the rest of the men in the group. All I could think was, "EWW! They aren't talented!" I took time to watch the music video when their newest single, "Summertime", was released. As I watched (jaw dropped) I was in awe of the fact that people were actually listening to this, buying the whole "I'm still cute and boyish yet manly" act, and LIKING IT! However, I stopped today and realized something important...

Trisha's love and devotion of NKOTB despite their mediocre ability is no different than my admiration and continued loyalty to the SPICE GIRLS! 

I am, and will forever be, a fan of the Geri, Victoria, Emma, Mel B., and Mel C. They were an inspiration and hope to me during a time in my life when the only word I used to describe myself was "ugly" and "uncool". I would listen to a Spice Girls song, channel their message of GIRL POWER, and for a few brief moments feel empowered and pretty. As cheesy as their schtick was... it made me feel great in my own skin. So I get it. I get the lure to "mediocre", "tacky", "pop" music. Sure it wasn't deep, and it didn't make me contemplate my existence... but it made me fell like it was okay to be bubbly, silly, and childish at times! 

Spice Girls stood above my other pop-y obsessions because each girl (as I'm certain was planned by their managing team) carried her own proverbial torch of GIRL POWER! There was a sporty one, a scary (crazy) one, an innocent-girly one, a posh-socialite one, and a sassy-sexy one! Can you guess which one I admired most? 

This is my "not so dirty" laundry: I love the SPICE GIRLS in all their mediocrity and own all 4 of their CDs! So now I have three questions for you:
  1. What band can you admit to loving that probably isn't the most talented out there, but they just carry that "it" factor for you? 
  2. Which Spice Girl is your favorite and why? 
  3. If you could create your OWN "SPICE GIRL" name what would it be?

from jessie (All Spice)... with love 

2 comments:

  1. 1. The OC Supertones
    2. I would lose my man card if I answered this question
    3. Yeah, because I respect myself I going to pass on number three as well.

    I enjoyed reading this blog. It was entertaining. My wife went to New Kids and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. The Backstreet Boys. Scott can contest to that one.
    2. Sporty Spice, because nobody else looks that hot in a track suit and sports bra.
    3. Sleepytime Spice, because no matter what time I go to bed, my boys never let me sleep throughout the night.

    "if you wanna be my lover, you gotta go let me sleep because sleeptime makes me nicer, please just let me be!!!!"

    ReplyDelete