Monday, April 20

DIY BIRTHDAY BAG

Who doesn't like to feel special? No reason or occasion necessary, one of my favorite things in life is to let others know how much I care for them. I always look for opportunities (especially around birthday's and other gift giving times) to customize items for the recipient. This weekend was NO different! My only nephew's first birthday was this weekend and scott and i had already decided not to compete with the grandparents in the gift giving department (because really, who can top grandma???). However, I wanted to do something to let meg, drew, and little AJ know that i really did take a moment to think about how special this birthday was in all their lives! 

I brainstormed some, and decided to personalize his gift bag. Okay, so it's nothing HUGE or specifically memorable, simply an "icing on the cake" item if you will! Here's how I did it!
  1. print out the letters or pictures that you want to put on your bag off the computer (you could do this freehand, but i don't trust myself that much!). Cut them out and tape them (temporarily) onto your gift bag.
  2. Place a piece of cardboard or a cutting mat the height and width of your bag inside the bag (to prevent cutting through to the other side of course). Then, with a SHARP exacto knife cut around the edges of the letters. Make sure to cut through the bag but not the cardboard. 
  3. remove taped on letter page and the piece of the bag that was cut to reveal the "letter" or "shape" hole that remains.
  4. open the bag and trace along the border of the letters with glue (this will prevent peeling up around the letters)
  5. place a cardstock page (preferably a contrasting color) on the inside of the bag so it adheres to the glue.
  6. affix any pieces onto the cardstock that is peeking through the right side of the bag that you wish to replace (in this case i glued on the piece that represents the "hole" in the middle of the A)
  7. TA-DA!!! a lovely and customized bag to let the recipient know.... "hey... i thought about you!" 

Why I never did this before now... who knows!!! Total time: maybe half an hour (I was doing several things at once while this was being made). It is now my plan to do this for any birthday gift I give (in a bag that is).  Let me know if you try this, I'd love to see the results you got! Also, if you have any original ideas that you execute for birthdays or gifts, let me know!

from jessie (customized and crafty)... with love

No comments:

Post a Comment